The Course model stores a course — not a specific section of a course, but the course generally.
Basic Information Course Fields
- Course ID
- A character field storing the course ID (max length is 32 characters). This supports any combination of characters, and ought be standardized.
- Course Name
- A character field storing the course name (max length is 128 characters).
- A file field representing the course's syllabus. This is rendered on the course's detail page and used for reference.
- A rich text field storing the course's description.
Course Selection Settings
These fields govern how the course is presented as a choice on the course selection form, and how it integrates with the course selection logic of Talos.
For more detailed information regarding how these fields are used, please consult the "Courses" module's documentation.
- A custom rule field that represents eligibility for the course. Please view the article in the "Courses" documentation that explains how this rule's parser functions.
- Instructions for Course Exception
- A field with instructions presented to students when they are applying for a course exception (assuming the relevant flag is checked).
- Use Instructions for Course Exception
- A flag that governs whether the "Instructions for Course Exception" field is rendered.
- On Course Selection Form
- A flag that governs whether the course appears on the course selection form.
- A flag that governs whether students can take this course even if they've already taken it (or are in it currently).
- Special Permission
- A flag that governs whether this course appears on the list of special permission courses a student has permission for.
- Course Placement
- A flag that governs whether this course's placement can be manually edited through a Course Placement dialogue window. Please consult the "Courses" module documentation for many more specifics as to how this placement process works.
A section represents a specific section of a course.
This is term and year specific.
- The course that this section relates to.
- Section Number
- There could be multiple section objects for each section if the section has different periods / cycles. The section number is used to link alike sections together, i.e. if there are two section 2s for a given course, one during period 1 and one during period 2, this indicates there is a double period course.
- Period Number
- The cycle represents the days that this section meets during. Defaults to 'MTWRF', if you are on a two week cycle, you could use 'MTWRFMTWRF', or if a course meets every other day, 'M--W--F' etc.
- A string representing the teacher. This is often pulled from an underlying system.
- A link to teacher objects representing who is teaching the course.
A schedule model object represents one portion of a student's schedule. It is functionally a section / student link that is specific to the school year / school term.
A Transcript item represents an item that belongs on a student's transcript, or report card.
This is specific to a year / term.
- Type of Item
- A choice field that represents the type of transcript item.
- The two choices are:
- Marking Period
- If this is a report card grade, the marking period the grade falls in. If this is a final grade, the marking period ought be a marking period which is counted on a final transcript.
- Grade (mark)
- A string representing the school (in NYCDOE, a DBN) of where the grade came from. Often this can be used to include middle school grades on a high school transcript.
The GC OFCL model links an OFCL to a specific advisor's name.
- Advisor Name
The GC User model links a specific advisor's name to a user account.
- Advisor Name
The Teacher User model links a specific teacher's name to a user account.
- Teacher Name